July 2021 BRD Monthly
COVID-19 Guidelines for In-Person Worship & Ministry
For more resources related to COVID-19 visit
Pastoral Assignments for 2021-2022
Blue Ridge District welcomes the following incoming pastors:
• Patricia Ginn-Griffeth Abernethy (Asheville)
• Thomas Henderson Antioch – Fairview (Hot Springs)
• Spencer Cullom Avery's Creek (Arden)
• Clyde Denny Barnardsville
• JP Bolick Clark's Chapel (Weaverville)
• Gaetona (Danielle) Hammett Cummings Memorial (Mills River) - Hope (East Flat Rock)
• Linda-Arlene Hoxit Elkwood (Asheville)
• Earle (ER) Haire Reeves Chapel (Asheville) - Snow Hill (Candler)
• Joseph (Joe) Precht Mills River
• Warren Lunsford Newdale (Celo - Martin's Chapel - Windom)
• Jordan Durham Oakley (Asheville)
• Fawn Mikel Pleasant Gap (Weaverville)
• Hunter Preston Pleasant Grove Union (Weaverville)
• Jodi Lee Hopkins Spring Creek
Bishop Leeland and the Western North Carolina Cabinet have released the full church appointment list for 2021-2022 as well.
Save the Dates: Clergy Meetings
The Blue Ridge District has dates finalized for the 2021-2022 clergy meetings.
September 7, 2021 - In Person at Lake Junaluska
December 7, 2021 - ZOOM
March 8, 2022 - ZOOM
Details for each meeting will be emailed as they become available.
Support for Ongoing Live Streaming
As congregations begin to move back to varying levels of in-person worship, some are finding live streaming of worship services to be an ongoing need and desire for connection. If your congregation is moving toward a permanent solution for live-streaming, the Blue Ridge District would like to help you navigate this new terrain by providing grant money toward consultation and education in purchasing, setting up, and running live-stream equipment.
The Blue Ridge District will partner with participating congregations by providing $300 of a $400 consultation fee which will include:
- An in-person consultation to assess your needs and budget
- A presentation of customized options
- Assistance in choosing the appropriate equipment
- On-site installation and training
If you would like to participate, and are willing to invest $100 toward a consultant, please email Shonnie (email@example.com) and she will help
you get started.
Weekly Lectionary Scripture Reading Focused ConversationsStarting Tuesday, July 6th at 11am, Shonnie Streder (our Blue Ridge District Vitality Associate) will be facilitating a weekly focused conversation via Zoom surrounding the scripture readings from the upcoming Sunday’s Lectionary text (via the Revised Common Lectionary). This will be a time of processing and conversation for all clergy and Certified Lay Speakers surrounding these four questions:
- What words from this text jump out at you?
- What are some insights you have found from researching this text previously?
- How do these verses impact your life in this moment?
- What do these verses mean for the wholeness of the Kin(g)dom of God?
There is no commitment to these conversations. Come as often as you are able. We will limit our conversation to 1 hour, but may shorten it depending on the size of the group.
Here is the Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/
Save the Date: Anti-Racism Ethics Training
The Anti-Racism training event for our district will be held at Covenant Community UMC November 19-20. Details and registration will be on our website and Facebook as they become available.
Job Openings Within Blue Ridge District Congregations
There are currently several job openings throughout our district posted on our website. Please feel free to share among those who may be interested in applying!
- July 6: First Lectionary Scripture Reading Conversation
- July 15: Virtual Mission Trip - Project AGAPE
- July 17: Eating Together Faithfully Introductory Training
- July 23-24: Methodism Classes: Doctrine (Hosted By Catawba Valley District, open to all)
Subscription options for ours and other related newsletters from the UMC can be managed here.