Blue Ridge District COVID-19 Response
Please fill out this form to inform us of any needs or additional resources. We will post them below.
- Information - An article about how to prepare for returning to gathered worship
- Updates from Bishop Leeland
- Western North Carolina Conference updates
- Updated Information
- Connexion Fund Portal
- Information for Online giving
- Resource - Frequently asked questions regarding participation of faith-based organizations in the paycheck protection program (PPP) and the economic injury disaster loan program (EIDL)
- Resource - UMF Offers Financial Aid to WNCC Ministries as COVID-19 Response Additional grant monies from Reynolds Ministry Fund to be made available for qualified applicants
- Grief & Lament Coaching & Counseling Resources
- Stacey Watkins-Griffith - email@example.com, (704) 375-5354, Ext. 409
- Harvard Business Review article - https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief
- One Minute Mindfulness by Donald Altman
- Self Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristen Neff
- Grief: The Unwanted Journey by Janet K. Johnson
- Messages from Organizations regarding Covid-19:
- WNCC Committee on Relief: https://www.wnccumc.org/newsdetail/a-message-from-the-committee-on-relief-13440587
- Wespath: https://www.wnccumc.org/newsdetail/a-message-from-wespath-13441435
- Wespath is providing a resource page with information about COVID-19 and questions related to retirement plans, health benefits, and resources for clergy and their families. This site will also be updated on an ongoing bases. https://www.wespath.org/about-wespath/Coronavirus
- Health Benefits Committee: https://www.wnccumc.org/newsdetail/message-from-the-health-benefits-committee-13441452
- NC Department of Health and Human Services: https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/public-health/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-response-north-carolina
- CDC Response: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
- Information & Resources for Virtual Worship
- In order to facilitate continued worship during this time the Church Development office is offering resources to help churches transition to online streaming. Learn more here: https://www.wnccumc.org/newsdetail/church-development-offers-assistance-for-streaming-worship-13441647
- Virtual Ministry Resources from our Resource Center - https://www.wnccumc.org/virtual
- Social Media Resources - Courtney Guadagno, Director of Communications & Technology at Christ UMC in Greensboro, is sharing tips and resources as you look at using social media for your local church.
- Tips for Meeting Online - An article from a virtual church group...basics of hospitality and community as you meet online in settings like ZOOM, etc.
- The Fellowship of United Methodists in Music and Worship Arts - Information and resources for worship leaders who are rapidly adapting to offering worship experiences online.
- OneLicense.Net - Creative Solutions to Growing Concerns - COVID-19 - Licensing for online use of music and hymns. Should soon have the full recording of a webinar shared on March 19, 2020.
- Resource - Ann Henderson Owens from Central UMC shares how to set up an alter in your home.
- Resource - A Symptom Checker link just released by Emory University: https://c19check.com/start
- Resource - Check out this alternative online church platform.
- Preparing your churches:
Use of Church Facilities by Outside Groups during COVID-19 - Sample agreement between local churches & outside groups (.doc)
Event Cancellations - WNCC, Districts, and Related Organizations: https://www.wnccumc.org/newsdetail/event-cancellations-13441851
- Resources for Planning Easter Worship Online
- Resource - The following are two articles recommended by District Superintendent, Rev. Beth Crissman:
- Before Reopening (.pdf) (.doc) - an article by Rev. Amy Coles, Assistant to the Bishop adapted from from the blog by Ken Braddy, “24 Questions Your Church Should Answer Before People Return.”
Leading Beyond the Blizzard: Why Every Organization Is Now a Startup (.pdf) (.doc) by Andy Crouch, Kurt Keilhacker, and Dave Blanchard - an article for leaders of businesses and nonprofit organizations outlining the major challenges we face and some forward steps we can take, acknowledging that we all are operating with profound uncertainty not only about the future, but even about the present.
(If there is particular guidance for which you are searching or if you have guidance to offer others in the area of planning and preparing for virtual worship and meetings, please fill out this form. We will assess our offerings and get back to you.)
There are no Zoom meetings scheduled at this time.
Past Videos & Recorded Zoom Meetings
April 19th Interactive Worship Service
District Superintendent, Rev. Beth Crissman, district staff, and musicians from around the district shared in this service for the second Sunday in Easter.
- Interactive service link: https://www.blueridgedistrictumc.org/april19worship
- Continuous video: https://vimeo.com/408083288
Virtual Pastoral Care During COVID-19
Rev. Sam Burleson has worked with church members at Salem UMC in Bostic to set up networks for congregational care & communication. Here, he explains their setup and offers some tips for other clergy (and church staff/leaders) who are in the midst of contemplating best congregational care practice in the midst of social distancing.
- Here is the link to view this session: https://zoom.us/rec/share/55FRAerNr01OftLU1WTNBIIOGY-4X6a80SEZq6ZfzE5im11ezCFlsebujxadQcto
- Discussion Guide: Virtual+Pastoral+Care+Discussion+Guide.pdf
- BR District COVID-19 Response